Experienced, Sophisticated Legal Representation

Claiming The Wages You’re Entitled To

Workers deserve the pay they are entitled to. Unfortunately, employers sometimes short-change their employees by forcing unpaid overtime, misclassifying employees or committing other violations of wage and hour laws. The Law Offices of Joseph C. Bird, PLLC, can help you hold your employer accountable and get you the compensation you deserve.

In Michigan, you have 12 months after the alleged violation in which to file the complaint for non-payment of wages or benefits. Your employer is required to provide records and information to the state and you may be asked to give copies of contracts, policies, a record of your hours worked or other information. It is important to keep any records that might help build your case.

Unpaid Overtime

A common way for employers to get away with paying their employees less is by neglecting to pay overtime. Any non-exempt employee in Michigan who works more than 40 hours a week is entitled to be paid 1.5 times their regular rate for all hours worked after the first 40.  Most non-management or blue-collar workers are labeled non-exempt. Unpaid overtime can be collected up to three years after the pay was supposed to have been earned.

Misclassifying Employees

Employers can misclassify their employees as independent contractors in order to avoid paying unemployment, certain payroll taxes or workers’ compensation. Workers who are misclassified this way are left without legal protections usually afforded to employees. These companies are also short-changing the state and federal governments by not paying the taxes they are required. If companies found to be misclassifying employees continue to do so, they can be charged with violating state law and subjected to stiff penalties.

Get The Pay You Were Promised

If your employer is guilty of minimum wage violations, refusing to pay worked overtime or violating other wage and hour laws, rely on the experience and knowledge of attorney Joseph C. Bird. Call our Birmingham office at 248-658-8590 to set up a consultation or send us an email using our online contact form. Se Habla Español.